Sleep Talk: How To Handle It?
- Sleep disorders occur in men and women of all ages
- Insufficient sleep can lead to you falling asleep, talking more
- If you are too bothered by talking while sleeping, see a doctor
Talking in your sleep can be a humorous act. Sleep talking, or somniloquie, is the act of speaking while sleeping. It is a common sleep disorder that occurs in men and women of all ages, although it is particularly common in children. It is very common and is usually not considered a medical problem. Speaking in your sleep can include simple noises or long, complicated speeches. You can whisper or scream. People who have a tendency to talk in their sleep usually seem to be talking to themselves. But sometimes they seem to be having conversations with others too. A 2004 survey found that more than 1 in 10 young children slept more than a few nights a week.
Also read: Don’t you sleep well? Try ashwagandha, an Ayurvedic gem
Causes of Sleep Conversations:
- Sleep deprivation or insomnia
- High fever or illness
- Too much alcohol consumption
- Stress and anxiety
- Drowsiness during the day
- Certain medications
Here’s how to avoid sleep talk:
1. Sleep plan: Having a consistent sleep schedule is an effective way to deal with sleep problems. You should choose a time to go to bed and wake up almost every day. Make sure you get enough sleep for at least eight hours while doing this. Not getting enough sleep can lead to more sleep.
2. Too much caffeine: Drinking alcohol or beverages containing caffeine can affect your sleep. Due to excessive caffeine intake, people may have difficulty speaking while sleeping. You have to try to reduce your caffeine intake to get rid of this problem. Also, avoid eating heavy meals at night as this will affect your sleep.
Also Read: Top 5 Myths About Caffeine
3. Stressful life: Living a stressful life can be one of the reasons for sleeping problems. If your work is too bothering you, you need to take a vacation for a day or two and go to another place where you can refresh your mood and relieve all the stress in your life. You need to do deep breathing exercises to be relaxed. Other ways to keep yourself calm can include reading a book, exercising, and listening to music.
Also read: Exercises For Stress: 5 Best Exercises To Get Rid Of Stress
4. Consult a doctor: If you have trouble sleeping you should talk to your doctor about it. Sometimes sleep conversations occur due to other disorders such as sleep apnea, agitation, and sleep behavior disorder caused by rapid eye movements. Certain medications may be required for healthy sleep. Your doctor will determine if there is a diagnosed problem causing sleep talk and will treat these underlying conditions.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all of your health needs, providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, nutrition plans, informative videos, etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate information you need about health issues like diabetes, Cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other diseases of civilization. We have a panel of 350+ experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable contributions and bringing us the latest from the world of healthcare.